Doug A. Miller
Director/ Writer/ Producer
Boneyards:Two one-hour episodes for the History Channel technology series, “Battlefields” and “Demolition”. Perpetual Motion Films (Producer, Director, Writer)
The Color of War:Four one-hour episodes for this History Channel series featuring only rare color footage: “Air War”, “1945–Victory”, “Anchors Aweigh” and “Covering War”. Program was named Best Historical Series of the Year at the New York Film Festival. For IM3 Productions in Los Angeles. (Writer & Producer)
Bettie Page Reveals All: Indy feature doc on the amazing & mysterious life of one of America’s greatest pop icons, who quit posing over 50 years ago—and today is more popular than ever. For Single Spark Pictures in NY. In theaters starting December, 2013. (Writer, Editor, Camera)
The Dick Doc:Indy documentary about the genius, eccentric, provocative artist (& war hero) Dick Miller. Principle photography completed and now in editing. (Producer, Director, Writer)
Dogfights: The Last Gunfighter: One hour episode for the History Channel’s popular series. Live action and animation. For Digital Ranch Films. (Writer & Producer)
When Stand Up Stood Out:Feature length doc about the wild early days of the Boston scene—before the Comics became rich and famous. Starring Denis Leary, Jeanine Garafalo, Steven Wright, Paula Poundstone, and many others. Released by ThinkFilms. Showtime began airing it in 2007 (Producer, Editor, & Cinematographer)
Frank Lloyd Wright’s Sacred Spaces:Documentary Special about the 9 striking and singular churches, and 1 synagogue, designed by America’s greatest architect. For Miner Productions. (Writer & Producer).
Raw Footage With Alec Baldwin:Series of one-hour programs about Indy Filmmakers. For the Independent Film Channel and Single Spark Pictures. (Director & Editor)
Death From Above, the Evolution of Modern War:Feature length documentary film Supported by grants from the MacArthur Foundation, the Paul Newman Fund, and others. (Producer, Director, Writer, and Editor)
Fenway Park, Home of the Red Sox:One-hour film documentary about pro baseball’s smallest and most unusual ballpark. (Producer, Director, Cinematographer, Editor)
How Did They Build the Pyramids?:History Channel “Modern Marvels” show about the conflicting theories of construction. Shot in New York, Boston, and Egypt for Actuality Productions. (Director & Field Producer)
The Combat Sport, A History of Boxing:One-hour documentary tracing the sport, and its critics, from Ancient Greece to the Present. Broadcast on A&E and nominated for a cable ACE award. For William Rose Productions. (Cinematographer)
The Small Farm in America:Half-hour film documentary exploring the superior efficiency, but lessened political power, of the family farm. Winner of numerous awards. (Producer, Director, Cinematographer, Editor)
Profiles of United Negro College Fund Graduates:Eight short documentaries for the UNCF to use in fund raising. (Producer, Director, Cinematographer, Editor)
Plus additional writing for Court TV, National Geographic, and Discovery
- Still Photography: One man exhibitions of prints in Paris (2003), Boston, New York, West Virginia, and Los Angeles (2007). Some were acquired by the Musee Carnavalet (Museum of the History of Paris)
- I Was a UHF Star! The Lenny Clarke Comedy Special: Half hour TV Special collection of short comedy pieces and parodies. (Director, Writer, Editor)
- Top Prize Winner of the Empire Screenplay Competition for “REBS”, a based-on- fact adventure tale of America’s first bank robbery.
- 2nd Place Winner of Fade In Magazine Screenplay Award in Comedy for “TROUBLE WITH MONEY”
- Winner of the New England Emmy as “Best Editor”, 1984; nominated for Emmys as “Best Cinematographer” and “Best Director”
- Silver Medal Winner at the Virgin Islands International Film Festival for “The Small Farm in America”. This film won other awards and was screened at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.
- Numerous workshops including: Directing with Mark Rydell; Cinematography with Vilmos Zsigmond and Owen Roizman; and Editing with Ralph Rosenblum.
- BFA in Film, State University of New York at Purchase. Studied filmmaking with Willard Van Dyke and Richard Rogers, film editing with Mimi Arsham, and film history and theory with Vlada Petric.
Demo Reels, completed shows, and further info available upon request.